This collection, subtitled “Poems of Our Planet,” is a sweeping anthology of forty ecologically sensitive poems from such poets as C. S. Lewis, Carl Sandberg, Joseph Langland, Ogden Nash, W. S. Merwin, N. Scott Momaday, Denise Levertov and others. I have two poems here myself–“Oh World I Wish” and “Sea Canary.” Divided into three sections–Celebrate the Earth, Sacrifice the Earth, Save the Earth– these poems are perfect for Earth Day, and any other day of the year.
- Recommended by the Mohawk Valley Library Assn.
- Featured on CNN’s SHowbiz Today “For Kids Sake” Feb 20, 1996
What reviewers have said:
- “Readers can find much to think about and appreciate in these pages.” -School Library Journal
- “In this splendid anthology for young readers, award-winning author Jane Yolen has collected poems about the earth’s blessings and sacrifices from thirty-five poets including C.S. Lewis, William Stafford, Joseph Langland, and Christina Rossetti. The inspirational poems in this collection focus on the wonders and joys of the earth, as well as the fragility of nature’s environment. Young readers will treasure this moving tribute to our beautiful planet.” — Children’s Literature
- “The scratchboard illustrations in gray, black, and white have a compelling sense of movement and flow. … An eclectic collection of verse concerning the beauty, the destruction, and the conservation of the earth.” — BookList
- “. . .a thoughtful anthoogu designed for young readers with a strong appeal to older generations as well.”–NAPRA Review
- “While readers of all ages will find much to ponder here, Jane Yolen’ selections will find a special place among students and teachers particularly interested in preserving the Earth and its creatures.” –Los Alamos Monitor
- “Any anthology by Jane Yolen is valuable, and you can always expect the illustrations and designs to be special. This book carries on that tradition.”–The Open Book
Available in Boyds Mills hardcover.
- Order from:
- Search for Out of Print Books:
- Find a Bookstore Near You
- Search for Out of Print Books (U.K.)